Friday, June 27, 2008

Lesson 2



What author/illustrator did we start to study yesterday? Today we will read another book by Jan Brett called “The Mitten”. After we read the book I will begin to teach you how to use Microsoft Word, which is the program we will use to type our writing at the end of the unit.



1. Begin lesson with Rationale.
2. “We will read “The Mitten” by Jan Brett this morning. Make sure that you listen carefully because after we read you will be asked to retell the story using a graphic organizer that looks like this.” I will show the graphic organizer and what the students will be expected to do.
3. I will read “The Mitten” stopping to ask questions about their predictions about what will happen next. I will ask questions to help point them to notice that the borders help tell the story. This is an important aspect of Jan Brett books.
4. After I read the book I will ask: “What do you notice about Jan Brett’s writing? What is the same about “The Mitten” and “Gingerbread Baby”?”
5. We will briefly talk about Jan Brett’s writing and the characteristics that are the same about her writing in each of her books.
6. I will give a graphic organizer to each student and ask the students to fill in the beginning, middle and end of the story. “You may draw a picture of the beginning, middle and end. Please label each part with some words.”
7. After the students are done with their graphic organizers we will sit as a group and 3 or 4 students will share their graphic organizer and retell the story for us.
8. I will move the class to the computer area and demonstrate Microsoft Word. “Today I am going to teach you how to type on the computer. We use a program called Microsoft Word. Raise your hand if you have ever typed on the computer. Why do we use computers to type our words when we can write them with a pencil?” We will discuss that typing our words makes them look like the books we read, they look published or professional.
9. I will demonstrate and show the students the Cap Lock, the delete button, space bar and the period button. We will practice and reinforce using the keyboard.
10. After these buttons are demonstrated for them I will hand out the Keyboard Chart. “You are going to find the buttons that we practiced today on the computer. “ Students will have a chance to look at the chart and get familiar. I will ask the students to pretend to type their name on the chart and then I will ask the students to touch the space card, the delete button, the period and the caps lock.
11. Students will be asked to color the space bar: blue, the period: red, the delete button: yellow and the caps lock: purple.

12. “Remember to read another Jan Brett book tonight for homework. Tomorrow we will read “The Hat” and our own Jan Brett writing.”

No comments: